Originally named Ramon Rise Estates in the 1950s, the development earned its first name from the original developers, including George Goldberg, based on the neighborhood's northern boundary of Ramon Road. It is unknown where the word "rise" is derived. The word "estates" was commonly used at the time in many new neighborhood developments.
The Alexander Construction Company re-branded the Alexander tract portion of the neighborhood as Enchanted Village when their homes were for sale beginning in 1957. This name was used in marketing brochures and newspaper advertisements.
Anecdotal history suggests the nickname Little Beverly Hills evolved in the 1980s as most of our streets are named after their counterparts 100 miles west in Beverly Hills. By the early-1990s and into the 2000s the name was being used in newspaper real estate advertisements.
With the name in common use, the Little Beverly Hills Neighborhood Organization was officially recognized by the City of Palm Springs in November 2014 and was subsequently incorporated as a Corporation by the founding residents in 2016.
In February 1954, George Goldberg, Thomas White, and Maurice Horner purchased a 40-acre tract from an Agua Caliente tribal member and named the tract Ramon Rise Estates with 84 lots for homes plus 22 additional lots, fronting Ramon Road, intended to be developed initially into commercial buildings but later apartments.
Samuel Sontag (former owner of Sontag Drugstores), Goldberg (a national hotel owner) and Jack Meiselman (a developer), through their entity Songold Land Development Company, built the first 20 homes. They were located on El Cielo Road and Canon Drive and built between October 1956 and March 1957; priced between $14,000 and $16,000. The architect is undocumented; however, it is possible that Jack Meiselman was involved in the design although he was not an architect.
In late 1955, the remaining 64 lots were acquired by George Alexander and Joe (J.C.) Dunas (through their entity Beverly-Oakhurst Apartments). Along with Duane Tjomsland, Alexander and Dunas, through their entity Alexander Construction Company, built the remaining 64 homes between July 1957 and February 1958; priced between $18,950 and $19,775. These homes were marketed as Enchanted Village. The architecture firm of Palmer & Krisel created floor plans in January 1956 and January 1957 with the later one being used; now known as the Ramon Rise floorplan. This 3 bed, 2 bath floorplan was subsequently used in Enchanted home developments in Sunmor and Sunrise Park. Palmer & Krisel also designed one of the six elevations used in the Alexander tract - the Enchantment (flat roof elevation). William Krisel walked away from this project sometime around February 1957 likely because of a dispute with JC Dunas, George Alexander's business partner. As the tract required more than one elevation and given that the Alexanders only used architects with AIA designation, they turned to Richard Leitch, FAIA to complete the exterior looks of the home. Leitch's involvement has been uncovered by finding examples of all of the six non-Krisel elevations in subsequent Alexander Enchanted series tracts including Sunmor (Enchanted Estates) and Sunrise Parks (Enchanted Homes). The Desert Sun in 1958 noted that homes in what would become the Sunrise Park tract “are designed by the prominent architect Richard Leitch.” As all five non-Krisel elevations in Little Beverly Hills continue through the Enchanted series, Leitch is the architect of the other elevations. Known for other work in the Coachella Valley, Leitch was the architect behind the thirty-nine homes in Tierra Del Sol built in 1956, the clubhouse of the Indian Wells Country Club built also built in 1956 and a new unit in Thunderbird Villages built in 1966.
There were six exterior styles created; El Dorado, Enchantment, Fiesta, Fleetwood, Flat Fleetwood and Suburba. The Enchantment (drawn by Krisel) was the furnished model home, located at 640 Compadre Road. Three additional elevations, built next to the model on Compadre Road, were used to show prospective buyers floor plan and roof line options that were available. (Note the El Dorado elevation was not built as a sample home on Compadre). Additionally, only two homes with the Flat Fleetwood elevation was built in the neighborhood as this flat elevation replaced the Enchantment in future Enchanted Homes tracts.
Eighteen of the remaining 22 lots were developed in 1978 as The Palms condominium complex. The remaining four lots fronting El Cielo from Ramon to Camino Parocela were used to build the now Casa del Cielo apartment complex in 1978 by the Francis Markley Company.
The Alexander Construction Company created this sales brochure to market their sixty-four homes in Little Beverly Hills, known as Enchanted Village.
Back cover of the original Enchanted Village sales brochure noting the sales prices and terms. Home prices ranged from $18.950 to $19,775 excluding pools which were an additional $3,750.
The interior of the sale brochure shows five models (elevations available). Enchantment, not pictured, was drawn by William Krisel, AIA on January 29, 1957 and is included in the Krisel's archives at the Getty Museum. 640 Compadre Rd is the Enchantment elevation model home. The other four elevations pictured are not included in Krisel's archives were drawn by Richard Leitch, FAIA, as the other elevations were used in the subsequent Enchanted homes Alexander tracts in Sunrise Park where Leitch is credited. Note that the Enchantment elevation only exists in Little Beverly Hills with 11 originally constructed, with only four remaining relatively intact today.
Special thanks to 3rd generation homeowner David Hyams who provided this document from his grandparents' records who were the original owners.
The "Ramon Rise" floor plan, drawn by Krisel on January 28, 1957 is part of Krisel's collection housed at the Getty Museum. Note, this was the second floor plan designed by Krisel for use. The first one was abandoned likely due to construction costs as the kitchen was placed where the carport is located. The approximately 1,200 square foot layout of the second floorplan (used for the Enchanted Village) clustered the kitchen near the bathrooms maximizing gas and water line runs and would have been less expensive to build.
The only print advertisement for the Enchanted Village was published in The Desert Sun on July 18, 1957 and August 7, 1957. The ad denotes that Enchanted Village was built to house the "area's permanent residents with the utmost in living pleasure at a REASONABLE price" meaning middle-class, full-time working residents unlike the second home neighborhoods that were being built at the same time like Twin Palms.
George Alexander and Wiliam Krisel, AIA were presented with the above award as reported in The Desert Sun on March 7, 1958. As the Enchanted Village was the first and only completed neighborhood in the Enchanted Homes series as of the date of this award, it was presented for the Krisel-designed and Alexander built tract in then Ramon Rise.
Hear Bill Krisel answer the question about what he thought about the adoration of his work some fifty years after his homes were built.
A photo of Little Beverly Hills, circa 1964. The view is from the north looking south. El Cielo is the road on the left with Ramon (running from the left to right) just below our neighborhood.
This vintage photo, picturing 512 Bedford Dr, was recently discovered. It showcases original details of the home’s elevation (including an eyebrow over the carport and an apparent eyebrow as a fascia along the roof line). The eyebrows are now both long gone after past renovations removed the home’s past.
The model home used to sell homes in the Enchanted Village tract was located at 640 Compadre Road. This print advertisement appeared in The Desert Sun on January 2, 1958 as the neighborhood was near sell-out. This home's roof elevation is flat and is included in William Krisel's archives at the Getty Research Institute in Los Angeles.
The SonGold Land Development tract along El Cielo and Cannon were among the first affordable homes for permanent residents in Palm Springs to offer swimming pools. The pool contractor, Riviera's Mermaid Pool, offered 14-1/2 by 27 feet pools for the very affordable price of $1,795.
The pools were placed strategically on the lot behind the carport to allow for maximum open space in the backyards.
Interestingly, George Goldberg served as treasurer of the pool company. Goldberg, therefore, earned multiple income streams from the development of the initial homes in Ramon Rise Estates including sales of the homes, pools and the remaining lots to George Alexander.
The Paddock Pool Company was the preferred pool vendor for the Alexander Construction Company in both the Enchanted Village tract in our neighborhood as well as their other projects in at least Twin Palms, Sunmor, Sunrise Park and Vista Las Palmas.
The Alexander Construction Company offered pools in Little Beverly Hills for an additional cost of $3,750. The rounded rectangular pools were large, 16 by 32 feet, at minimum depths of seven feet. Original pool equipment was buried in a pit near the deep end and included an A.O. Smith heater.
The furnished model home at 640 Compadre Rd still retains the original medallion that was embedded in the coping when the pool was constructed in 1957. The homeowners restored and placed the medallion back in the same place when they renovated the pool. Interestingly, the original medallion was brass as pictured above in the original restored medallion.
The Palms condominium complex is part of the Little Beverly Hills Neighborhood Organization fronted by Ramon Road to the North, Compadre Rd to the West and Theresa Dr to the South. Originally conceived as the Tumanjan Apartment Complex (named after the project's developer: Tumanjan & Tumanjan Investments, Inc.) the name was adapted to The Palms Apartment Village during the planning and marketing phases.
The complex, constructed in 1978, was designed by the last living great modernist architects - Hugh Kaptur, AIA. Kaptur noted in a December 1, 1978 The Desert Sun article that “the optical effect the buildings project is an illusion of planes opening outward" with an obvious nod and reference to nearby Palm Springs International Airport. Tumanjan referred to the design as clustered in a village with angled roofs of geometric design seeming to open to the sun.
Jens Holm of Pride Landscaping was awarded the contract to design a landscape for The Palms apartment village with a theme of “desert garden" according to The Desert Sun article on May 11, 1979.
Monthly rent started at $500 (and quickly rose to $575 in other advertisements) and included access to all the sporting amenities on-site. Ten penthouse apartments, dubbed the "Wimbledon Penthouses" offered two and three bedroom layouts. Initial penthouse tenants were offered the opportunity to color coordinate their unit.
Shortly after renting began, the apartment complex was converted to condominiums and The Palms Homeowners Association was incorporated on August 12, 1980.
Dr. Lowell John Bean (pictured on the left) was well regarded within the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians having been honored by former Tribal Chairman Richard Milanovich (right) for his work. Dr. Bean arrived in the desert in 1958 as a graduate of anthropology from UCLA and spent his life learning (and writing) about the Cahuilla people's customs and culture.
Dr. Bean once said, “historians, the public, and even anthropologists had viewed the California Indians as simplistic, primitive people. And they weren’t. It turned out these were very complex cultures with beautiful music, epic poetry, sophisticated social organization, and philosophical systems.” Dr. Bean went on to write about all of those subjects in scores of books and papers, as well as matriculate to a teaching position at California State University, Hayward. In 2008, Milanovich presented him with a ceremonial blanket traditionally given to important elders saying, “Dr. Bean, you have our respect and gratitude.” Dr. Bean lived in Little Beverly Hills for thirty-four years.
Actors Fernando Lamas and Arlene Dahl, who both starred in the 1953 films Diamond Queen and Sangaree, lived at 640 Compadre Road from 1958-1959. Lamas and Dahl rented the home from its first owner BB Leventhal, a Los Angeles chiropractor. They were married for six years, from 1954-1960, leaving the home just prior to filing for divorce. They resided in the furnished model home, part-time, with their son Lorenzo.
Lamas' sole appearance on Broadway was in the 1957 play 'Happy Hunting' for which he was nominated for a Tony Award as Best Actor, but had the misfortune of coming up against Rex Harrison's Professor Higgins in 'My Fair Lady'. Whenever a role in a 1940s and ’50s potboiler called for an edgy Latin lover type, Lamas’ agent would get the first call. With his thick accent and oily charm, the Argentine actor fit that bill perfectly and he became known as "the Latin Lover."
This home was originally owned by Antone (Tony) Dalu. Dalu was a prominent interior and landscape designer who was a contemporary of famed Palm Springs interior designer Arthur Elrod. Records show Dalu doing business in Palm Springs as early as 1954 and by 1957 he was working with the Alexander Construction Company. He decorated Bob and Helene's first home on Apache Cir in Twin Palms. Dalu won a design competition where he was selected as the interior designer for their Ocotillo Lodge in 1957. Later that same year, he furnished the Enchanted Village model home located at 640 Compadre Rd in Little Beverly Hills. He also worked with Donald Wexler, FAIA, including decorating and landscaping the Wexler family home. He later worked with architect Hugh Kaptur, AIA, who designed The Palm Condos, also located in Little Beverly Hills. Dalu met Kaptur while they were working for Wexler.
Alta Davis may not be a familiar name to many visitors, but her connection to Palm Springs and mid century interior design is significant to remember. Because of a long history of asthma, she moved to Palm Springs in September 1945 where she was employed for several years at the only bank in the area at that time, Bank of America. Upon returning to Palm Springs the second time, she became the first employee of the Desert Bank when it opened in Cathedral City in July 1949. Later, she moved to the Glendale/Hollywood area where she worked as a secretary to the Comptroller at Forest Lawn Memorial Park. After three years in LA, she again relocated to Palm Springs and began work in the office of Arthur Elrod Interior Design for the next 31 years. Davis was an original owner of this home and died at the age of 95.
Gale Eldridge resided at 634 Bedford Drive with his wife Emelina and three children (Gail, Donna and Bobby). He was a patrolman with the Palm Springs Police Department for less than two years before tragically becoming the first police officer killed in the line of duty in the village.
His tragic murder was front page news in The Desert Sun following his death on Wednesday, January 18, 1961. While this was a tragedy for the small village, the community rallied behind the fallen officer's family, establishing the Gale Eldridge Fund which raised over $10,000 from ~350 individual contributions. It is believed that his family left their rental home shortly after Officer Eldridge's passing. According to his family (as of 2013), his legacy continues, however, with four grandchildren, sixteen great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren. Eldridge was 32 years old.
This home was owned by Arnold "Buddy" Gillespie in the early 1960's. Gillespie was a special effects artist for MGM from 1925-1962 and was nominated for thirteen Academy Awards including for The Wizard of Oz, Mrs. Miniver, Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), and won for his work on Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, Dolphin Street, and Ben Hur (1959). His career with MGM spanned the 1925 and 1959 versions of Ben Hur and the 1935 and 1962 versions of Mutiny on the Bounty.
Originally a draftsman and then assistant planning director for the City of Palm Springs, David Hamilton rose to prominence in the desert as a mid-century landscape architect designing the landscape of many famous landmarks including the Palm Springs Airport Terminal, Desert Water Agency, the Royal Hawaiian Estates, DeMuth Park, Desert Memorial Park, Raymond Cree Junior High School, planning for Living Desert and many residential projects. Hamilton served on the Palm Springs planning and architectural advisory committees and was an early member of the Palm Springs Air Museum, enjoying military history and its preservation. According to architectural historian Steven Keylon, "he was the first university trained and licensed landscape architect to both live and work in the
Coachella Valley." Hamilton was the original owner of 572 Bedford Dr. He passed away in 2017.
Actors Stacy Keach and his wife Jill Donahue lived at 690 Compadre Rd during their marriage from 1981-1986. Keach is an American actor who was active in theatre, film and television since the 1960s. He was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play for his performance in Authur Kopit's 1969 production of Indians. He appeared in films such as Fat City, Up in Smoke, Nice Dreams, among others. Donohue is known for appearing in 13 Demon St, Winter A-Go-Go and Burke's Law.
This Alexander home (Suburba elevation) was originally owned by three time Olympic medalist Parry O'Brien. O'Brien developed a new technique by himself, and it was ultimately adopted by all shot-putters. It called for the putter to start with his back to the shot's eventual line of flight, thus turning 180° before the release. O'Brien became the most dominant shotputter of his time, winning 116 consecutive meets, including two Olympic gold medals (at the Helsinki games in 1952 and at the Melbourne games 1956) becoming the first Olympian to repeat as shotput gold medalist in nearly 50 years. He then took silver at the Rome 1960 Olympic Games and was the American flag bearer for the Tokyo 1964 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, where he finished fourth. O'Brien was inducted into the IAAF and US Olympic halls of fame. Interestingly, he attended the University of Southern California at the same time as Robert Alexander and William Krisel. Telephone directories indicate that O'Brien never lived in the home, but rather rented it (initially to William Podell and then to Police Officer Gale Eldridge) before he sold it in early 1963.
Harriet Oettinger Parsons (1906 – 1983) was an American film producer, actress, director, and magazine writer; one of the few female producers in the United States at the time. She and her partner, Janet Wolfson, resided at 613 Beverly Dr. Parsons was the daughter of the famous Hollywood gossip columnist, Louella Parsons. Among the more notable films produced by Harriet Parsons were ''I Remember Mama'' (1948); ''Enchanted Cottage'' (1945); ''Clash By Night'' (1952); ''Never A Dull Moment (1952), and ''Susan Slept Here'' (1954). Before becoming a movie producer, Harriet Parsons was a screen and magazine writer. She had her own radio program, ''Hollywood Highlights,'' in 1938. Louella Parsons was the first American movie columnist and was retained by William Randolph Hearst because she had championed Hearst's mistress, Marion Davies. Louella subsequently became an influential figure in Hollywood. At her peak, her columns were read by 20 million people in 400 newspapers worldwide. Louella remained the unchallenged “Queen of Hollywood gossip” until the arrival of the flamboyant Hedda Hopper, with whom she feuded for years. This home has also hosted various celebrities and Coachella performers like Solange Knowles and Goldroom.
Jere Ring (pictured on the left) is a protégé of Liberace who entertains audiences and enriches lives with his musical and comedic talents. When Ring was eight years old, he attended a Liberace performance and dreamed of meeting the pianist in person. When he was older and had relocated to Los Angeles, Ring met Liberace’s stage director, Ray Arnett, who introduced him to Liberace in Las Vegas. Ring worked for Liberace in 1983 and the two became friends. "I performed for him in the afternoon and he invited me to stay for dinner at his restaurant (the Tivoli Gardens in Las Vegas)," said Ring. "The way it all happened was, the regular piano man said he wasn't feeling well. They had celebrities coming in and I said, 'Well, I can play,' and I played the evening. The place filled up and Lee said, 'Do you want to work for me?' So I did." His life has been one of adventure on the high seas, having performed on 52 different cruise ships playing "hundreds and hundreds" of songs from "The Great American Songbook." Ring played himself in the 2021 film Look Me Over: Liberace, which examined Liberace's life. Beyond his piano and singing skills, Jere is a published author and has made Little Beverly Hills home for nearly three decades.
Howard Wiefels was the eleventh Mayor of Palm Springs from April 1967 through March 1974. He was the original owner of 605 Roxbury Dr but did not reside in the property, instead owning the home as an investment property and renting it out. During his time as mayor, Wiefels was instrumental in the passage of Proposition R which provided funding for the following projects: Sunrise Park (including the PS Public Library, Leisure Center, The Pavilion, and the PS Swim Center) and Desert Highland Park (present day James O. Jessie Park including the community center, gymnasium and playground and baseball field). Additionally, he and his brother were owners of Wiefels & Son - Palm Springs Mortuary which their grandfather had started. The mortuary is still in business today and is located at 690 (formerly 666) Vella Road in the DeMuth Park neighborhood.
We use cookies to analyze website traffic and optimize your website experience. By accepting our use of cookies, your data will be aggregated with all other user data.
The most recent edition of our neighborhood newsletter has been released including an update on Modernism Week events throughout our pocket-mid century neighborhood.